Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Julie and Julia

So after a long hiatus I figured I should review some more of the bagillion movies I've seen. After ranting harshly and rightly in my opinion against a movie I couldn't stand, I will now go on about one I adored.

Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci, need I say more? These two were a dynamic duo of brilliance- they were perfectly believable as Julia Child and her loving Paul. This movie was brilliantly cast. I almost felt bad for the Julie story line because every time it switch back to Julie from Julia you could feel the audience groan, in a loving way, and be like we like Julie a lot, but we LOVE Julia, please more Meryl Streep, lol. I have read the book Julie and Julia- I picked it up after I saw the movie the first time. I must say I much prefer the movie, shock, gasp, I know, lol, but I found the really Julie Powell too abrasive, and unforgiving, her husband must truly be a saint. While I know that if any wrote down there every thought, we'd all come off as total selfish bitches, Julie Powell took brought the voice inside her out into reality a little too much for my taste. I have no problem with the f-word and did still find her book hilarious and well done, but I prefer the movie, simply because Meryl Streep kicked such serious ass as Julia Child.

I thought that Amy Adams did an excellent job as Julie, the cubicle worker, fighting her way out one step at a time cooking through her lifted copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Eric Messina was also excellent as Julie's sainted husband. The relationship between the two was believable and more real than what you usually see.

I thought that the length of the movie was good, but I would not have minded it being a bit longer (or a lot) if we could have had more Meryl and Stanley, what can I say I'm addicted. I'll have to go watch the Devil Wears Prada a could dozen times more to get my fix before this winner comes out on DVD.

10/10 :D

No comments:

Post a Comment